'A tribute to the self-sacrificing labours of the Press Committee and staff.'
Under the direction of the Press Secretary, the Dymock poet Lascelles Abercrombie, the limited company is wound up on 25th March 1922 and registered instead as University Press of Liverpool Limited in partnership with the commercial publisher Hodder and Stoughton – an agreement that lasted until 1928. The joint venture was underpinned by the generous gift of £5000 (£2500 each) from a Mr Edward Whitley that was spent on the publication of 19 books.
The world’s oldest journal for the academic study of Spanish was launched. The Bulletin of Hispanic Studies was founded by E. Allison Peers and has been published continually from Liverpool since 1923.
In his history of the University of Liverpool, Thomas Kelly notes of the period:
‘The only financial assistance given by the University was the provision of a modest office accommodation on Brownlow Hill. That the Press continued to exist at all during this period is astonishing. That it not only existed but managed to publish such major works is a tribute to the self-sacrificing labours of the Press Committee and staff.’
Miss D Millett, who had been Assistant Secretary of the press since June 1911, became Secretary of the Press making her the first woman to run a university press in the UK (in fact it was 48 years before the UK had another female press director … also at Liverpool). Sir Patrick Abercrombie said of Millett’s 15 year tenure ‘no trouble was too great and she was especially valuable as a check on the author’s extravagance.’
Upon tireless searching in the archives and elsewhere for an image of Miss Millet, with no result, a reference to her was finally discovered in 'The University of Liverpool Calendar, 1934-35'.