The renowned Translated Texts for Historians E-Library makes available historical sources from A.D. 300–800 translated into English, in many cases for the first time. This indispensable collection contains 72 volumes from the series that bring together a wealth of important early medieval texts in translation, with scholarship from leading academics.
What are the benefits to your library?
- Comprehensive: 74-volume digital library with over 20,000 pages of translated historical sources, from the political letters and speeches of Ambrose of Milan to Zachariah of Mytilene’s Chronicle.
- Wide-ranging:The translated texts span A.D. 300–800 and have been translated into English from Greek, Latin, Syriac, Coptic, Arabic, Georgian, Armenian and Old Irish. The geographic range covers Syria, Arabia, Armenia, Georgia and Egypt in the East; North Africa; major cities of the Roman Empire (Antioch, Alexandria and Constantinople); and Spain, Gaul, Italy, Britain and Ireland in the West.
- Variety of texts: Types of writing include histories, chronicles, letters, annals, formularies, compendia, political speeches, military and theological handbooks, poems, documentary sources, records of church councils, biblical and theological commentaries, sermons, church histories, Christian treatises, Christian and pagan panegyric and polemic, neoplatonic texts, lives of saints, bishops and popes.
- Continuous access: 24/7 access to the most authoritative and scholarly translations of these texts.
- Invaluable: Each volume of scholarly translation includes an introduction setting the text into context, and rigorous notes on content, interpretation and debates.
- Interactive: Available on our new super-fast, feature-rich online eReader which presents volumes with a crisp fully-scalable image and the ability to zoom in, bookmark, copy text, print, and download.
- Digitally preserved: all content is digitally preserved in the CLOCKSS Archive.
One-off purchase: £4,700 / US$6,500
- One-off purchase includes:
- Immediate online access to 74 ebook volumes currently available
- Access to 11 additional ebook volumes in January 2022
- Up front payment for access to all content added to the collection 2023-2027*
- Online access is in perpetuity and there are no online hosting fees.
Statewide California Electronic Library Consortium (SCELC) members: 15% discount on the list price - please visit the SCELC website for further information.*A fixed 18-month embargo is maintained between print and electronic content, therefore the future content specified in a 2022-2027 license was published 2020-2025.
To order directly, please contact Jennie Collinson - Head of Sales & Marketing at LUP.